Monday, February 16, 2009

American Idol - Season 8 - Top 36 (semi-finals)

OK, I had all my notes from last nights show ready to go and I decided I’d type it up once I got out of the shower….well, that obviously didn’t happen ..hehe I was really tired, so I laid it down.  Now tonight I just want to get to the Top 36. 

I do want to mention just a few things from last nights show though.  I tried to place the rooms before the judges reveled what each room’s fate was.  I figured Room 1 was safe.  This was the room that housed all the “No Question” people.  Most of these people will be moving on to the next round. Danny, Anoop, Lil…you see my point?

Room 2 housed all the “Not so sure yet” people.  These people had one or two outstanding auditions and one or two that were not so good and the judges wanted more time to figure out what to do with most of them. Alexis Grace, Nathanial (DRAMA), and Stephen Fowler.

Room 3 I figured was going home once I saw India Morrison there.  At least that was prayer. 

Room 4 Are all the people the judges are saying a HUGE MAYBE. I was hoping they were going home once Tatiana was moved there, but no such luck!!

Back to tonight’s Top 36 that will be selected from the 54 that were left after the judges re-watched footage of auditions. 

New this year is the Hollywood Mansion, or the Judges Mansion.  Over-elaborate house, but very well put together.  Then the judges are all sitting in huge plush red chairs.  Boy they look comfy, huh?  So is this the new house the Idols will live in??  Great acoustics!

And so tonight begins.  We are going to watch each of the 54 contestants over the next two hours find out their fate from the judges. 

Anoop Desai, who has been one of my favorites since Simon said he looked like he just came from a meeting with Bill Gates, moves on to the Top 36.  He is definitely on my personal Top 12 list.

Next is Von Smith, who just keeps talking and talking and talking and is finally told he made the Top 36.  I do not like his screaming voice.  Definitely not on my personal list! 

Cody Sheldon and Alex Wagner-Trugman are the first two to face the new twist, Singing for Survival.  It is something similar to SYTYCD’s Dancing for your Life.  They are told to give it all they got right now, while the other hopeful stands right down the hall.  Cody decides on “The Love Remains the Same” while Alex sings “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me” and after a brief wait in the hallway Cody is sent home while Alex makes it to Top 36.  I was watching Cody, but Alex has a decent voice as well. Really didn’t care which one made it between these two.  Cody’s young he will prolly be back next year.

Adam Lambert appears to be everyone’s favorite Rocker this year.  He makes it to Top 36.  I like him well enough. 

Taylor Vaifanua forgot her words.  She has a great voice though.  This is our 16 year old Amazon!  She is Top 36.

We are advised by flashes that Jasmine Murray, Casey Carlson, Arianna Afsar, Megan Corkery, Mishavonna Henson and Stevie Wright are all joining the others in the Top 36.  I am glad to see Megan, Arianna and Stevie all make it.  I’m not to thrilled about Jasmine as she strikes me as a spoiled brat. 

Joanna Pacitti keeps forgetting her words.  Maybe that’s why her other deal fell through, think she had problems doing a concert???  Hmmmm……Anywho, she is told she is in the Top 36.  So Simon?  What was all the talk about “Forget the words, and you’re done!  She has been on my watch list as well so I’m not too upset about it J

We are informed that is the end of the road for TK Hash, Chris Chatman, and Reggie Beasley.  The only person on this list that I remember is TK Hash. 

Kendall Beard is one who they advised had horrible song choices, but despite this she still makes Top 36.

We are now up to the second round of Singing for Survival sing off. It’s between Jenn Korbee and Kristen McNamara.  First I must say, these judges are something else when they blatantly talk about people right in front of them….I LOVE it! Hehe! So we find out tonight that Jenn tried out with her husband and he was cut during the group round in Hollywood Week.  She is up first and sings “I’m Not Ready to Make Nice” while Kristen, who I remember from crying when Nancy Wilson let loose on her during group week, chooses to sing a modified version of “I Will Always Love You”.  Kara immediately informs Jenn she sang the wrong song.  Kristen gets bashed for her style.  She’s wearing a t-shirt type top, pair of shorts, and some baby blue cowboy boots.  Weird, but not “out there” like the judges are suggesting.  Paula informs her she has a lot of work to do.  In my opinion after listening to the both girls, Kristen has the better voice hands down.  The judges pretty much tell them this when they tell them that if they could merge them together they would be the perfect contestant.  So in other words, Jenn cannot sing and Kristen just looks funny! They finally let Kristen know that she is the one moving on to the Top 36.  Simon just blasts her and advised that he completely disagrees with the decision. Come on Simon, how long have you had that haircut!!?? 

Alexis Grace, another one from my watch list is added to the Top 36.  She talks about being worried about being away from her daughter, but I’m sure she’ll deal with it.

Scott MacIntyre is also advised he’s made the Top 36.  I am honestly not as blown away by him as everyone else is.   

Lil Rounds was also on my watch list.  She is natural raw talent at its best.  After the judges play with her mind a bit she’s advised she’s made it to the Top 36.  Simon comments on how great he thinks she is as she leaves the room.

Now we are told of others that reached the end of their journey.  This includes one of my watch list members Felicia Barton.  Didn’t really get to see her much through Hollywood Week and of course they don’t show us much tonight so not sure why she was cut, but I liked the little bit I did hear from her.  She is joined by Ashley Hollister and Devon Baldwin. 

Time for another sing off.  This time it’s between Frankie Jordan, one of my watch list members, and Jesse Langseth whom I first heard during Hollywood Week group day.  I can’t remember who it was she was singing with now at this point, but I remember thinking, she’s not that bad, now today….UGH.  I do not like her voice nor do I like her style.  I really wanted Frankie to make it but her survival song, which I forget at this point what that was, was horrible.  I have no idea what song that was that Jesse sang, but it got her into the Top 36.

Shera Lawrence and Derik Lavers who we have NEVER seen are told they are going home.  They cry like babies in the holding room.  Thing is, I find it hard to feel for them considering I have NO idea who they are!!  

Allison Iraheta is another one that I don’t remember ever seeing or hearing anything about but her audition review clips reveals she has a nice voice!!  She is then informed that she is in the Top 36.  I think it’s not to late to add someone to the Top 12 Watch list….maybe

Danny Gokey is probably my favorite at this point. Along with Anoop. The RDJr. look-alike is dealing with a lot, but I think his music is probably healing for him considering the songs he’s been choosing.  They ask him if he thinks he could stand-out and he says of course.  Randy tells him he’s made it to Top 36. 

Now it’s Jamar Rogers, Danny’s best friend and his biggest supporter since loosing his wife.  The whole while Kara is talking to him she has an expression as though she is going to tell him yes.  I am completely expecting a yes.  She then tells him that his risks didn’t pay off and that he will be going home.  When Jamar comes into the holding room, everyone in the room gasps when they hear he didn’t make it!  I have to admit, I was completely shocked as well.

Ricky Braddy, Matt Giraud, Ju’Not Joyner, Jorge Nunez, and Brent Keith all learn they are in the Top 36.  The only one out of this list that I have no idea about is Ricky Braddy, everyone else I’ve seen at least one or two auditions.  I’m watching Matt, Ju’Not, and Jorge. 

Stephen Fowler gets asked how well he thinks he did.  He says he thought he was doing really good until the last day.  Paula asked if he regrets walking off the stage and he says yes and attempts to explain himself when Simon says “Well, it’s too late” and then they tell him he’s made it to Top 36.  OK, I’m shocked due to the statement I mentioned before…forgotten words, etc, etc, etc.  Anywho, I guess in a way I’m glad since I really do like his voice.

Nick Mitchell who is better known as Norman Gentle is up next.  I was pretty confident he was going home since he KEPT bringing Norman Gentle into the picture rather than just singing as himself.  I’m bored with him already, I really think he would be better off being a Drag Queen in Vegas, if that’s not what he’s already doing! Paula makes a comment about they would like to see his character on the show and tells him he is through to Top 36.  HUH???  Is this some kinda joke!??  NOW, I’m agitated that Jamar was sent home and this stand-up joke makes it through. 

Jackie Tohn I am not a fan of either.  She sings OK, I just don’t like her voice.  She sounds as though she’s been puffing on about 30 packs of cigarettes a day!  Her voice is just not appealing or attractive to me.  That being said she does make it through to Top 36.

Tatiana Del Toro has got to be the most ANNOYING person in the entire world!! OMG, I swear I will be muting the TV during ALL of her performances which I’m sure will include squealing and squeaking!!!  I can’t believe they have put her through to Top 36, and yet Jamar goes home…Cody Sheldon went home…Frankie Jordan went home….ugh!!!  Annoying! I was tempted to stop watching, but then I thought of all the people who made it that I do like and decided for the mute option!    

Jackie Midkiff and Nathaniel Marshall are our next pair to Sing for their Survival.  I have never seen this Jackie guy, but I’m soooo hoping he makes it over the Drama Queen!!  Nathaniel is like the male version of Tatiana in this competition to me.  He’s just as annoying and all the crying and drama is just unbelievable at times!!  And WTF is he wearing????  Even Simon even had to ask??  Ewww, Ugh, and WHY???  Between the two, I guess I have to admit that Nathaniel has the better voice, but I really don’t like him so another muted contestant as he is picked over Jackie for the Top 36.

Another flash of contestants, Jeanine Vailes,  Kai Kalama,  Anne Marie Boskovich, and Kris Allen are all informed they are Top 36.  Kai and Anne Marie are both from my watch list.  Not sure who Jeanine or Kris are. 

And of course they have to make two of my favs Sing for their Survival, Matt Breitzke, the welder, and Michael/Jeremy Sarver, the oil-rig roughneck, who BTW is a beautiful man!!! Just SEXY!!  If he’s over 6 feet tall then we are ALL good baby!!!! Whew!!  OK, back to the singing I forgot what they sang…and was too caught up to write notes while I was watching..hehe.  If I HAD to pick one of them it would be Michael Sarver hands down!  What he did with that song was EXACTLY what a Sing for your Survival should be!! I was extremely excited when they threw in another twist and both made it to Top 36. 

So from what I understand the Top 36 will be split into groups of 12 to perform over the next 3 weeks.  I sure hope they put the best first instead of last.  Maybe they’ll spread them out with a good mix of good and bad so it’s obvious who will go home out of each group….we’ll see!  Should be fun. 

So did your favs make it?  Did you see people who shouldn’t be there who are?  I voiced my opinions already….I’ll leave it at that!


February 13, 2009 Update:  Joanna Paciti has been disqualified....I think it has something to do with some friends she has at 19 Entertainment....not sure, will read around somemore tonight.  Good news is, she was not a HUGE favorite of mine so I'm OK, but I'm UBER excited about the fact that Felicia Barton gets to come back!!!! Whooo Hooo!


No comments: