Wednesday, March 11, 2009

American Idol - Top 13: Michael Jackson Songs

So after a parade of judges and Ryan we are informed that two will go home tomorrow night :)  Oh well, couldn’t last forever besides they probably couldn’t push SYTYCD back a week for the extra elimination of a 13th contestant..thank goodness :)

Anyway, so everyone has to sing a Michael Jackson song….ugh…they tell them not to sing icon songs then they give them and icon to sing after…sheesh!!!

Lil Rounds – “The Way You Make Me Feel” She can definitely sing and that performance was OK.  I kinda wanted her to take the more soul side of it, but she opted for the R&B, I was kinda moving around the house while she was singing so I may have to watch it back again.  All in all, she did well enough to miss the bottom 2 I think.

Scott McIntyre – “Keep The Faith”’ Not a popular Jackson song and he really did it no justice vocally.  In all honesty that was a go home performance to me.  I didn’t like it.  He can play the piano and is probably a really good song writer, but he shouldn’t be out in front….behind the scenes is the place for him. 

Danny Gokey – “PYT-Pretty Young Thing” I liked the arraignment and I liked his performance.  I think he did a good job at sealing himself in a place for next week. I truly believe he will be one of the Top 5 when it comes to that point!   *Rolls eyes at Paula*

Michael Sarver – “You Are Not Alone” I like this Jackson song and Michael used that BoyzIIMen soul sound he had in Hollywood week.  It was OK, I’m not turning flips, but I think he’s safe for next week as well.

Jasmine Murray – “I’ll Be There” Not too bad.  Better than I was expecting, but she’s still kinda just there to me.  Her family seems really nice and they are a good looking bunch, but her voice does nothing special for me.  Not sure if this was good enough to stay next week since two people will be leaving tomorrow!  She does come off much older than 17, so maybe that’s all it is.

Kris Allen – “Remember the Time” Anytime I hear this song I think about the video with Eddie Murphy and the super model Iman and the whole Egyptian thing…can you tell I was an MTV kid!?!  I think he totally ruined the song once he got past the 1st verse!!  He was not thinking about pitch or controlling the song in any kinda way and it was just all over the place!  Train wreck at the end even…disappointing since he actually started out really good.  If he makes it to next week I don’t think he should sing with his guitar anymore!  He did sound better at the beginning with the guitar, but not at the end!

Allison Iraheta – “Give In To Me” I’m not familiar with this songs original version, but I think she rocked it out!!   I really enjoyed her performance although I had NO idea what she was singing!!   I pretty sure she’s secure for next week.

Anoop Desai – “Beat It” Why????  I really wanted him to sing something like “She’s outta My Life” or maybe even Human Nature a capella.  I’m really disappointed in the song choice it shows no vocal ability nor is he performing it like he wants someone to “beat it” He may have just doomed himself with that performance!!  Come on Anoop!!! If you make it to next week you better flex those vocal skills buddy!!!!  Now I think the judges were a little harsh, but I do think he can do MUCH better than he did!  Song choices people…..Come on!!!

Jorge Nunez – “Never Can Say Goodbye” OK, although I don’t think he did all that bad, but he wasn’t impressive to me at all!  I can see him leaving this week since he doesn’t appear to be as popular as let’s say Anoop who didn’t really do that well.  I wouldn’t have mind hearing Anoop sing this song either…anything ballad wise!!  Ugh….

Megan Corkrey – “Rocking Robin” Ok so she’s just really quirky all the way around!  I actually kind of liked it.  It kinda fit her whole quirky persona.  I love the tone to her voice, it’s “interesting” I’m not sure how much longer she can hang vocally, but she is wildly more popular than Jasmine, so we’ll see.

Adam Lambert – “Black or White” Perfect song choice for him!  He definitely knows himself as an artist!  Again, not something I would buy to listen to, but can’t deny he is good in that genre!!  He has definitely secured his spot!  This may come down to a showdown between Adam and Danny!!!  Can’t wait to find out!!

Matt Giraud – “Human Nature” Figures someone else would do it since I wanted Anoop to do it!!  For Matt this was surprisingly good song choice for him!!  I enjoyed it until he went into his falsetto range at the end and went all off key, but other than that it was a good performance!  Like I said before with good song choices he can quickly become a serious contender for Top 5!!

Alexis Grace – “Dirty Diana” It was oversung in a few places, but overall she’s established her self as a soulful rocker to me!  I like her and her voice…she is going to give the guys a run for it that’s for sure!!

So in the end after it’s all said and done the two I think are going home is:

Jasmine Murray and Jorge Nunez.  I think they were the least impressive and then popularity of other contestants.

I would like to see Scott McIntyre go, but I think he’s still to popular for that unfortunately.

We’ll see tomorrow night!


1 comment:

Martha said...

You should be one of the judges for sure.